I hate it when I see that an audience has paid a truckload of $$$ to attend a conference and what they get is advertisements from the speaker on the podium. *smack* This came outof TEDTalks via Tim Longhurst (today):
- Thou Shalt Not Simply Trot Out thy Usual Shtick.
- Thou Shalt Dream a Great Dream, or Show Forth a Wondrous New Thing, Or Share Something Thou Hast Never Shared Before.
- Thou Shalt Reveal thy Curiosity and Thy Passion.
- Thou Shalt Tell a Story.
- Thou Shalt Freely Comment on the Utterances of Other Speakers for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy.
- Thou Shalt Not Flaunt thine Ego. Be Thou Vulnerable. Speak of thy Failure as well as thy Success.
- Thou Shalt Not Sell from the Stage: Neither thy Company, thy Goods, thy Writings, nor thy Desperate need for Funding; Lest Thou be Cast Aside into Outer Darkness.
- Thou Shalt Remember all the while: Laughter is Good.
- Thou Shalt Not Read thy Speech.
- Thou Shalt Not Steal the Time of Them that Follow Thee.
Except for point 10. It’s part of the conference game to see how far over time you can go. *laughs* someone (shall remain nameless) who runs conferences turned the screen off on a speaker when he was 2 minutes over. and the mike off at 5 mins. I think the lights went off at around 8 mins. Harsh. *laughs again*.
Been to a conference lately, hmmm? here’s some stuff I’ve been/will be doing.