What does Laurel do? Good question! This site is mostly focussed on social media education, Facebook courses, Instagram training, social media corporate training and online courses for social media managers. And on this page I have my BIO plus an awesome VIDEO SHOWREEL, and PHOTOs, you can see my CLIENT LIST and PUBLIC WORKSHOP list as well as LIVE TESTIMONIALS and TRAINING request forms.
I have been MANAGING ONLINE COMMUNITIES since the 90’s and have worked on some HUGE forums such as Sony’s game communities. Since 2005 I’ve been teaching SOCIAL MEDIA (Facebook and LinkedIn and blogs and Twitter) at the UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY and FORBES MAGAZINE named me in the top 50 social media influencers globally. I reach around 6 MILLION people per month personally on social media and I have 10,000 ONLINE STUDENTS studying social media online with me. I KEYNOTE all over the world and attendees often receive a COMPLIMENTARY online course that walks them through the key principles.
Here’s the list:
Online Courses: Laurel has over 10,000 students online, studying social media with her. The list of both the number of courses and number of students is growing every day!
Public workshops: Laurel’s Public classes are popular – particularly the Three Day Social Media Intensive. Also Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest etc for Business (computer and non computer based classes). Laurel also teaches social media at the University of Sydney and has done since 2005.
Keynote Presentations: from Ad:Tech Tokyo to Academic conferences in Portugal to media conferences in Jeddah Saudi Arabia to Google conferences in California: speaking around the world on online communities, social media and social networking. Find out more about social media workshops and keynote presentations.
Facilitators: working with large Enterprises, small business, Government Departments and Not For Profits on developing online community strategies, campaigns and guidelines. From tactical How to Create a Conversation Diary to strategic Policies on Engagement there are workshops with staff and stakeholders to better manage KPIs and outcomes
Press: Named by Forbes Magazine in the Top 50 Social Media Influencers globally, Laurel has regular spots on ABC radio and often appears on Business and Entertainment TV programs talking about Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter and privacy and social change. Over 2000 Australian and overseas journalists follow Laurel on Social Media.
Author: Laurel is the author of a number of books including Social Networks and Crisis Communication and Social Media Revenue. I am the author of Social Media Revenue listed on Google Books and other locations. I also wrote for The Australian on social media for around a year.
Consultancy on Social Media: contract work with clients who need mentoring and expert advice on social media, Facebook, Twitter, online community campaigns and how to deal with negative criticism online.
This page is for Conference Organisers who require a bio and photo for brochures, for The Press requesting interviews and for companies looking for an experienced International social media strategist based in the Australia or Asia area. If you prefer to work through Saxton’s Speakers Agency or Great Expectations or ICMI Speaker Agency or Claxton Speakers International or Platinum Speakers or another speaker agency please CC me on requests so I can confirm if the event is appropriate, within my scope and my tentative/confirmed booking availability.
BIO FOR CONFERENCE BROCHURES
Laurel was named by Forbes Magazine in the Top 50 Social Media Influencers globally, and Marketing Magazine named her “Head of Industry, Social Media”. She has consulted globally including with Singapore Government and Middle East Broadcasting, and in Australia, with Westpac, Sony, local, State and Federal Government. Laurel manages massive gaming and online communities including Facebook and forums for reality TV shows such as Junior Masterchef. Since 2005, Laurel has been teaching online community management at the University of Sydney, Australian Film and TV School, Metro Film School and she has been managing virtual communities since 1989. In the last few months Laurel has appeared on Finance Quarter, Lateline, 7:30 Report, Midday Report ABC, and in the Australian Financial Review, The Australian, Radio National and other media channels. AdAge named in the Top 150 Media Bloggers, and she is on Google’s Plus Recommended List
About Laurel Papworth
- Laurel Papworth is a dynamic, fun presenter who has been creating and managing online communities for over 20 years
- Forbes Magazine named Laurel in the 50 Most Influential in Social Media globally
- Marketing Magazine named Laurel Papworth “Head of Industry, Social Media” for Australia
- AdAge named Laurel in the Power150 bloggers globally, and Grader.com named Laurel in the “most influential 50 women on Twitter”.
- Creates online courses in Social Media for clients, industry organisations and Government, manages the courses and has 10’s of thousands of students online at her school courses.laurelpapworth.com and through other schools eg Udemy social media classes.
- CEO and Founder setting up online communities on forums, Facebook etc and managing them including Everquest, Ultima Online, Westpac Bank, Junior Masterchef TV show, Middle East Broadcasting (women’s online community), Singapore Military, journalists with The Australian newspaper
- been running virtual online communities since the late 1980’s including virtual worlds and forums
- teaches workshops on online community management, social media press releases, Facebook marketing, increasing your Twitter reach, and socia media monitoring and measurement to Governments, Corporations, small business and not for profits in Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Middle East.
- teaches or has taught over a number of years at Uni of Sydney (since 2005), Australian Film TV and Radio School, UWSYD, Metro Film School on social media and social entertainment and online community marketing and communications.
- the author of Social Media Monetization and other books on social media and online community management including one that has been translated into Thai by the Thai Government.
- Has a level 85 Fire Mage in World of Warcraft and can often be found there running screaming from monsters.
Headshot for Brochure
Laurel is a social media educator as well as managing large online communities. LaurelPapworth.com contains information on speaking, training and consulting in Social Media and Laurel Papworth has been named Head of the Social Media Industry by Marketing Magazine and a global Social Media Influencer (Top 50) by Forbes Magazine. She has been creating and managing online communities for over 20 years, including Social TV (Big Brother, Idol and Junior Masterchef), Online Games (including Ultima Online) and 1980s communities (Usenet and IRC). Laurel has developed and facilitated Social Media Strategies with Sony Australasia (Film & Games), ABC TV and Radio, Channel 10, Screen Australia, SBS TV, Singapore Government, Middle East Broadcasting (Saudi Arabia), Westpac and PR and Marketing Agencies in Australia and Asia.
Laurel has a popular iTunes podcast called Social Media Business and has written and published articles and books on social media revenue and monetization. Her site LaurelPapworth.com is number 5 in Australia (B&T Magazine) and is in the Top 150 Media/Marketing blogs in the world according to global AdAge USA. Laurel has taught social media marketing courses since 2005, consulting on blog, Facebook and Twitter courses to entertainment, business and Government around the world, as well as keynoting at international conferences on social media. Laurel also teaches social media courses at the University of Sydney, Australian Film Television and Radio School and Metro Screen.
Laurel consults at executive level and facilitates strategic workshops on the impact of social networks on industry sectors, teaches marketing, blogging and social media courses for companies and runs workshops for small and home business on behalf of the Australian Government. Click here for Testimonials .
SOCIAL MEDIA CONSULTING
Laurel has consulted with a substantial number of companies, not for profits and government departments in Australia, Asia and Middle Eastincluding:
Telecom New Zealand, Middle East Broadcasting (Dubai/Saudi Arabia), Singapore Ministry of Defence, Fairfax: RSVP Dating Community, Sony Corporation, Universal McCann Erickson WorldWide, CHANNEL TEN: including Australian Idol community, Sulake: Makers of Habbo, Macquarie Leisure, Macquarie Media, New Holland Publishing, Australasian, Performing Right Association (APRA), Peoplebrowsr, MySongcast.com unsigned bands community, Screen Producers Association of Australia (SPAA), Australian Conservation Foundation, Australian Businesswomens’ Network, Pink Sofa online community, ABC Australia, National Archives of Australia (gov), The Australia Council, Department of State and Regional Development (gov), Deparment of Education, Department of Primary Industry (gov), Australian Film Television and Radio School (edu), University of Sydney (edu, public), University of Western Sydney (edu, Masters program).
CROSS MEDIA, Online Media
Laurel also mentors TV and Film social network projects at the Australian Film and Television School as well as teaching Marketing and blogging courses at the University of Sydney, and has taught Social Media as part of a Masters of Convergent Media at the University of Western Sydney. She currently runs workshops in Singapore, Shanghai and Malaysia with government and media companies on innovation and cross media.
Laurel Papworth has been involved in social networks online since 1989, when she ran a media Usenet newsgroup and an IRC chat channel. Since then, Laurel has worked with gaming sites (official communities for Everquest and Ultima Online, amongst others), technical developer, health and media communities. At an Enterprise level, Laurel was involved with digitising Fairfax (Sydney Morning Herald) in the early ’90s, established Convergent Media at Optus in the late ’90s and enterprise communities of practice for Cisco Systems in Asia (2000’s). She currently consults worldwide for Channel Ten Australian Idol, Sulake (makers of Habbo) Finland and recently (March 2008) finished a week of keynotes and workshops in Saudi Arabia teaching Arabic women how to blog. Laurel consults privately but also teaches Facebook, blogs and Marketing at the University of Sydney (for the last 3 years) and social media courses throughout Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Shanghai.
Recent and Upcoming conference presentations and workshops are here.
- Social Media and Hospitality with TheDrop – we’ve done a Social Media Strategy courses, a Facebook and Instagram Course and will have a Social Media Campaigns (content diaries and opening restaurants etc) course in 2020. Stay Tuned!
- Chamber of Commerce and Social Media Events. I enjoy running workshops for Business Chamber to their members e.g. the 3 or 4 I have taught on WordPress, Instagram, Facebook etc for Mudgee Chamber of Commerce
- Social Media and Schools: Conference Presentation, online classes and webinars organised by Independent Schools and Broadband Technology (TtEDSC).
- Social Media and Fundraising for NonProfits – I’ve run a number of conference workshops (with laptops) as well as keynote talks on Instagram and Fundraising. Including for FPMagazine. I also spoke at LipstickLuncheon (youth off the streets) on life as a social media manager for major tv shows etc.
- My televised speech at the ABC (here on the Crikey website) Keynotes over the years change form but I’m surprised how much core messaging doesn’t!
- I enjoy being invited on Podcasts to chat on about case studies, what works, what was a disaster! and so on. E.g. HerBusiness
- I teach at an academic level when not running corporate training or actually consulting! and speak at tertiary/college/university conferences.
- I frequently write an article or make a video to support my speaking engagements. Here’s one on Big Data, Social Media and retail I wrote for BSI. And another one on social media I wrote for NAB Bank.
For more information please call Laurel on 0432684992 or email her assistant (if Laurel is in class) firstname.lastname@example.org