NOTE: I just deleted a tonne of contacts on LinkedIn – if one of ’em is you, yell at me. I probably did it by mistake. I was trying to get rid of nasty recruitment spammers. I’m down from over 100 to just 55. And more to delete….
I should really sit back and polish this whine, presenting it as some sort of pseudo- research-ethnographic – profound -unbiased report on the social network, LinkedIn. Sod that! It’s my blog 😛 and I wanna have a bitchfest. (Feel free to join me).
Reasons why I hate LinkedIn:
- I paid for full membership. Didn’t use it. Dropped membership. Now when I try to do something I consider ‘basic’ it says ‘premium’. Barrier to entry all wrong.
- I made the mistake early on of signing up anyone and everyone from my previous companies (Cisco in Asia and UUNET/MCI WorldCom in Europe/Middle East). Big mistake, those companies have about 100,000 employees. My error. Or wasn’t clearly defined.
- Don’t bother contacting me if you have Sales Director or Recruitment Consultant in your title. Real life friends, who are groovy and web 2.0 savvy, like Natalie from Xpand, excepted. I didn’t join LinkedIn so you could whore your lousy jobs and revolting products/services to me. And I don’t care how well I “fit” your target demographic. You just don’t get what social networks are about, do you?
- I hate the way normally sane, nice, friends see LinkedIn as an excuse to deal with me differently. Put on a “professional” hat and it’s suddenly ok to inflict me, your bestest best friend, with your jobs/products junk mail? Why do I get treated as a number as soon as I am on a “professional” network? Let’s meet on Facebook – I’ll check out your ‘posted items’ and ‘classifieds’ if they are relevant.
- clunky interface. ’nuff said. oh and icky colours.
- “Your network” supposedly giving me stats and graphs on my network is less than useful. Or at least, I can’t figure it out. You might be able to.
I could go on and on – but I figure you guys have some gripes you’d like to share too. Or do you like LinkedIn? I wrote this blog post then went looking for a “I hate linkedin” picture. Found the one at top on Coding Horror’s Opting out of LinkedIn. Which I intend reading as soon as I hit the Publish Post button. *lays a smackdown on the Publish Post button*