Online Communities rock for voyeurs and snoops. Here’s a scrap currently ongoing between @PerezHilton (of the infamous Perez Hilton blog) and @aplusk otherwise known as Ashton Kutcher, Punk’d host, blogger and Mr Demi Moore (she’s @mrskutcher) :
- Ashton Kutcher : He doesn’t like me cause the truth threatens his relevance. RT mrsscrapper Perez is so not supportive of you (RT means retweet, so it would read (tweet from @mrsscrapper) “Perez is SO not supportive of you”) (link)
- Perez Hilton: The “truth” is subjective. You think really highly of yourself if you know the “truth”! (link)
- Ashton Kutcher: your truth is indeed subjective, I understand how you could see it that way. (link)
- Perez Hilton: Not everything is black or white. And my God is not any better or worse than yours. (link)
- Ashton Kutcher: I wasn’t commenting on your God I was commenting on your Ego. (link)
- Perez Hilton: My Ego is quite healthy. It is destroyed hourly by the masses and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I don’t take myself 2 seriously. (link)
Perez Hilton Twitter page.
This fight is coming up for a few reasons. One, Ashton Kutcher is about to go on Oprah to show her Twitter (just joined, @Oprah, no tweets yet and 28k followers) and chat about his fundraising on that social network. So Perez Hilton tweeted a few tweets later: Find out many ways U can give back http://perezhilton.com/cate…
Perez Hilton is a troll – in social networking terms. He creates dissent to pull attention to himself. No shocks there. The next few missives are to @britneyspears, statements about preferring to follow Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt and so on. About on the same par as publicly stating an “unfollow” or other schoolyard tantrums.
The key is that first line from Ashton Kutcher about Perez Hilton:
He doesn’t like me cause the truth threatens his relevance.
What does Ashton Kutcher mean? I think it’s that anyone – young kid working in a hair salon, mother at home with 3 kids under the age of 5, student on a bus to college – can get their dose of daily gossip direct from the source. Why do we need New Idea or Who Weekly if we can read blogs and Facebook and Twitter for the ‘real’ story? What Ashton calls the ‘truth’? Why not just go read Angelina Jolie, Drew Barrymore, whoever, directly – on their blog, their twitter, their facebook page?
Of course, it’s not just the content – original source – it’s also the reportage. Journalists don’t make the news, they report it. Bloggers often do both. Reporting requires value-add, as long as it’s not cutting and pasting press releases.F Finding, Filtering, Finessing, Forwarding. Would you have known about this fight if I hadn’t blogged it? Does Perez Hilton snarky comments add fun, humour, or even education? Perez will remain relevant as long as he continues to value add. The fact that he picks fights to insert himself into conversations is telling – he’ll hang onto his “social connections” with the Rich and Famous for dear life. But so will we. Every single one of Ashton Kutchers 900,000 followers will be watching and reading and commenting. Perez just has to make sure his voice continues to be heard above everyone elses.
See? Even bloggers may become disenfranchised, disintermediated… You can follow what Twitterers have to say, and their need to take sides (swarm into tribes) @plusk vs @perezhilton here on search.