In this video I go through how websites track your purchases through cookies and pixels (called remarketing or retargeting) and then how browsers like Chrome and Safari and Firefox will be blocking cookies in 2021. Ok, Safari and Firefox already do, but Google’s Chrome is blocking from 2021!
This will affect Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Ads, and other pixels.
Pixel Retageting News for 2020/2021
- Pixels and Cookies would track purchases and signups and abandoned shopping carts and searches
- Apple Safari and Firefox have blocked 3rd party cookies and pixels
- Google Chrome will block the 3rd party pixels from 2021
- I have no doubt the info will be hidden in the ad platform (you can target generally but the Chrome browser will track).
- No idea where the Privacy Commission is on this, they seem to let the social media platforms fight it out with the browsers….
If you know anyone (advertiser, small business, agency) who might need to know about this, feel free to share this pixel retargeting news…
- See the video on Twitter/Periscope
- Also YouTube
- Facebook Livestream – my account or if you prefer business pages my training page has the LIVES video too.
- And of course LinkedIn live.
Resources for Pixel Retargeting
- Facebook Pixel Helper from Facebook Developers
- Create Audiences and Ads in Facebook Ad Manager pixel events
- LinkedIn tracking of pixels is available through Display: Company in Campaign Manager in LinkedIn
- Apple Safari removal of cookies and pixels report 2020
- technical details on web browsers and cookies and pixels tracking
- Google Chrome phasing out cookies in 2021